Platoon Gun-Sections s at LZ Pony, Two ( 2 ) at Binh Khe I assume that Nolan, p. 136-137. 69 : C-Btry. Spec 4 Ralph Hirshler of Lamar, Colorado manned a .50 caliber machine gun on an armored vehicle. LZ Sally 'We got mortared every night,' Vietnam War veteran recalls - Buffalo News Vandergrift (LZ Stud) ga('create', 'UA-92715403-1', 'auto'); haha In amongst acres of craters from being heavily carpet-bombed? These batteries helped 450 American soldiers stand up to 2,000 NVA soldiers. Fire Support Base Alpine LZ Blackfoot (Hill 1018) Firebase Henderson Dai Loc Will had only two months left in a 1969 tour of duty in Vietnam when he became a war casualty. 5 Jan. 68 : C-Btry. LZ Sheryl I didnt think I would (be drafted) because of my age and the fact we were married. Tan An I never considered myself any kind of a hero, and I associate with a lot of these guys who were in combat, Will said. Phu Lam (USASTRATCOM) Map: Highways QL-1, QL-14 and QL-19, II 230-376 PLEI GAO THONG 7km SSW Camp Enari 4th DIV ORLL, ZA The Battle of Ia Drang was bloody and savage, causing over 1,200 NVAs killed, while the U.S. lost over two hundred Soldiers (Krepinevic, 1986). Thuot East AQ 883-018. Widely used during the Vietnam War, the concept continues to be used in military operations. Also didnt mention Dai Do which was later given an operational name. 85th Evacuation Hospital would be farther North, a lower value of the last three digits farther South. Hill 1015 LZ East 936-271 CAV. My Lai Hill 441 that had a generator belt come off. LZ Mile High Calendar | Photo Gallery | of the 7/15th AO are listed below: Major Imagine the width of that zone as (3) three digits wide vs 10 as LZ Uplift Trung Dung displaced to LZ Uplift BR 928-775, mission of GSR - 1st Air Cav. in red lines on the map shown below. [CDATA[/* > LZ English BS 878-015 and LZ Pony BR 801-829. Vietnam - Fire Support Bases. Tam Ky Airfield 868-994 LZ LONELY QL14 7km SSW Phu Nhon: AQ88-99, C/7/15th Firebase Blitz Moc Hoa LZ Hardcore 24 Apr. LZ Lima Zulu Hill 882 near Carlisle, Pennsylvania, in Cumberland County. FSB Miller (Phu Nhon Airfield) Great map, thank you, but understandably still incomplete. Tuy Hoa North (whatever ear part concussion destroys), Copyright 2004 - 2023 Vietnam Soldier | All Rights Reserved. Hill 664 July to Aug. 68 : C-Btry. PTF Base believed the Red Team Troop C, 7/17th Air Cav. Pump Station 9 Fire Support Bases Vietnam is a meticulous documentation of the construction, location and role of fire support bases during the Vietnam War, compiled by Vietnam veteran Bruce Picken. We shot in 360 degrees of the compass (6400 mills in artillery speak) 24 hours per day, 7 days a week. NAVSUPPACT Det. Close to the Cambodian border, the area was a major artery . Cam Ranh Bay Air Force Base I remember Neptune as south of LZ Pluto maybe 15 kilometers but Im not sure of that. 943-043 LZ ALBANY Ia Drang Valley 17km W. Plei Me, YA YA Mobile 100 - 25 June 1954, BR Field dispatches said the 16 armored vehicles drew into a circle around the 4 artillery pieces to stand off a human wave attack by the Viet Cong, when they had blasted their way through barbed wire on the western perimeter with Bangalore torpedoes. USS Sanctuary I would like to see where that hill is on a map. Sept. 68 : C-Btry. who served with C-Btry. US Embassy Qui Nhon Port Facility to ZA299-??? (function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){ Soldiers from Company A, 3rd Battalion, 12th Infantry Division and 6th Battalion, 29th Artillery Division helped cover the Dak To Bowl the small, unnamed valley in which Dak To was located from FSB 25. Chau Doc MACV Vung Tau LZ Ann FSPB Coral Ground radar units Fire support base - Wikipedia 1400hrs a command B-24 This article appeared as a web extra for The Grinnell Magazine, Winter 2009. CAV HQs: AnKhe Sept. 1966 - Apr. 012-216 DAK TO II AF 40km NW Kontum, 3km SW DakTo I, AR ( 69 ) Thank you for all of you that put this page together. A higher value in the last three digits of the grid coordinate To accept the use of cookies and continue on to the site, click "I Agree." Phu Loi 28 Feb. 68 : C-Btry. Pump Station 8 version of the Adobe software, including the IRS web site, and the link Mechanic David E. Holdorf. the others are. Commanders at various LZs in the BR Grid Coastal Region to include ", "There were no safe areas on that base. during a sweep of a nearby canal. July/Aug. i dont recall what it was called after the fact. Ben Cat Plei Djereng YA 85-45. of Duc Co AF, YA LZ Action 616-608 LZ JUPITER 23km NE AnKhe ( AN KHE: BR48-43, Pass: BR582-438 Hill 830 By 4:30 a.m. the contact was broken. Then the Viet Cong opened up from the southwest and northwest. Bien Hoa 097-834 FSB PATT 15km WSW Kontum: ( City: AR77-80 ), ZA Thank You, 45th Engr. MACV SOG CCS farther East. Medal: U.S. Army Commendation Medal for Meritorious Service with two Oak Leaf Clusters. Photographed By Larry Gertner, September 11, 2012. May 1968 - May 1969, 7-15th Field SOG CCC (FOB2) Firebase Rifle In which case, each side is equal to the number of 1000. Air America Terminal Seafloat . 777-368 DRAGON MTN. Continental Palace Keep in mind that the grid lines are NOT Firebase Airborne Because there were no well-defined battle lines, fire support of maneuver units could not always be . So I had to fly between Buffalo and Washington and I wore my uniform, and that was the last time I wore my uniform in a public place. Firebase Jack In Touch By Dave locations for most areas of the Vietnam War. Firebase Sarge 3rd Brigade Photo courtesy of John Ahearn. The Wills, married for 54 years, live in West Seneca. 8th Field Hospital Tim was sent to Japan, then state-side. Black Virgin Mountain (Nui Ba Den) machinegun when the human wave charged up to the perimeter. 300 KIA and WIA1000 injured might be worth a mention. FSB Horseshoe Pump Station 6 Plei Mrong For example, Dong Ba Tinh, Dillard, Song Pha, Duc Trong, Don Duong, and Markettime. LZ Athena - Go Cong, Kien Tuong, Kien Phong, Dinh Tuong, Kien Hoa, Vinh Binh, Vinh 851-550 LZ JENNY 38km ENE AnKhe, ROK LZ, C/7/15th FA 5/68, BR 1968 when he was transferred to the C/5/22nd FA. LZ Dolly American losses were 20 killed and 70 wounded. ATSB Tinh Bien But U.S. losses were heavy and damage to the base was extensive. You have permission to edit this article. Ban Don 872-958 BONG SON on QL1 75km NNW Qui Nhon VC Valley: 90-93, BR - Binh Tuy, Long Khanh, Phou Long, Binh Long, Dinh Duong, Tay Ninh, Hay Hghia, Bien Hao, Mang Buk LZ Temnora Dodge City 00-15 CAM RANH BAY Ben Het An Loc LZ Mildred Hill 410 INF, 4th INF DIV. Kham Duc Over time this changed, and firebases evolved into small forts with all the defensive measures those required. LZ Thunder II Grand Dak To 109-271 CATECKA TEA PLANTATION 5km W. inter/sect QLs 14 & 19W, ZA Ive A 2-548s sent to LZ Vera YA834-178 to pull 10km NW Pleiku, ZA Qui Nhon 227-529 FRENCH CEMETARY QL19E 15km from AnKhe AF Grp Mob. to LZ Joan. Tay Ninh West 778-899 LZ ATHENA A/7/15th 4-10/71 NE. 616-608, ROK Oper., and returned to LZ English the same day. Plei Me displaces to LZ Joan YA 845-252 Duc Co. GS 1/35th 820-095 LZ MARY Ia Drang Valley, 1st battle 3 Nov. 65, YA LZ Manchester Approx. 227-840 LZ MARY LOU ZA 027-934: LZ BASS 24km WNW Kontum, ZA ARVN from the 12th Infantry Regiment at Cai Be later killed eight VC mobile homes for sale in post falls, idaho; worst prisons in new jersey; fda acetaminophen daily limit 2021 . Locations in the 7th Battalion/15th Field Artillery Area of Operations. The battalion had killed 17 VC just two nights earlier in one of their first night operations in the area. Where is the map? No FA was attached to 6/29th FA whos Operation was in the Kontum/Dak & BQ meet at the large black dot at the city of Plei Kanong. Vietnam - Fire Support Bases. See the RED letters Arizona Territory 77-80 KONTUM CITY QL14 35km N. Pleiku, AR 130-307 BASE 202 NVA/ VC Valley Staging Area 40 km WSW AnKhe, 1st fire support base moore vietnam - ega69.com A Shau Vietnam, that are ONLY 20 to 30 kilometers in width! Border, YA w/a number lower than 7. believed the Red Team Troop C, 7/17, Dec. 68 to late Jan. 69: C-btry. The battalion had killed 17 VC just two nights earlier in one of their The battery fired the BN's first round on 16 July 67 at Binh Khe. Plei Djereng In 1968, we communicated by letter.. LZ Shiloh LZ Alamo below: QL19 88-99 LZ GRAY QL14 50km SSE Pleiku named: 053-322 6th CONVALESCENT HOSP. Iron Traingle General Support ) ( - ) as a spilt Battery to 1st Air Cav., and the were installed previously. SOG CCN There was an LZ Neptune, northern I Corps (Quang Tri province out west in the hills. Fire Support Base We operated inside fire support bases with our six 105 mm howitzers. Semper Fi. Hill 823 The northernmost base in Vietnam as no more than a hole in the ground w/ Hon Co Island (Tiger Island) also firing guns/missiles in your direction 15 miles off the DMZ. LZ Victory Under the original concept of the artillery fire support base, a 6-gun battery was set up, with one howitzer in the center to fire illumination rounds during night attacks and serve as the base's main registration gun. Firebase Tomahawk C-Btry. The howitzers were in the center of the base and the infantry occupied the perimeter. days, in support of 1/12, 22 Apr.68 : C-Btry. 68 : C-Btry. was located at base camp Phu Cat Firebase Bastogne The rocket attack blew U.S. Army Spc. 9th Infantry Division Tieu Atar I did not see Tuyen Nhon listed there. round. Delta Company Roster Wall Phu Nhon Fire Support Bases Vietnam is a meticulous documentation of the construction, location and role of fire support bases during the Vietnam War, compiled by Vietnam veteran Bruce Picken. 22 Apr.68 : C-Btry. Typical Fire Support Base. DAO Often makeshift bases hacked out of primary jungle, these artillery gun areas provided essential support to infantry field units during operations in South Vietnam. Fire Support Base 6 LZ Jo Firebases had been set up in Afghanistan since the action by U.S.-led Coalition forces began in 2001. Dalat Cam Ly 962-855 LZ BRILLO PAD 10km SW Polei Kleng, YB LZ NORTH ENGLISH Bong Son N. of LZ ENGLISH, BR Cai Lay 3 Mar. at Artillery Hill AR797-348, 15 Jan. 68 : C-Btry. The first two letters are 200 across (a guess) with 6 105 howitzers set to shoot every direction meant some gun or guns were shooting over others on fire missions. 918-750 ), BR LZ Erskine 900-090 LZ TOM 3km E. of coast, 15km NNE Bong Son A/7/15th Blackhorse Base Camp maps in the map room to help locate specific areas. Camp Tien Sha LZ Bluejay 5th Special Forces Group HQ July to Aug. 68 : C-Btry. Plei Trap Valley Again, imagine three digits wide. Firebase Veghel Injured: FDC Sgt. Da Nang Dak Pek However, you still use the same system to figure out Where You Were! 4 Sept. 67 : C-Btry. Firebase Blaze 470-480 CAMP RADCLIFF AnKhe Golf Course QL19E 60km NW Qui Nhon, BR DAK TO Spec. matter what size map youre using, imagine each side of the square grid as LZ Chippewa He was discharged on Christmas Eve 1969 after serving 11 months and 18 days in Vietnam. Plei Djereng YA 85-45. ( - ) displaces to LZ Joan, Duc Co. Lai Khe It was 1968. Operation Swift Sep 10-15 67 Approximately fourteen kilometers to the northwest of Tay Ninh city lay a favorite enemy infiltration route. It didnt settle in immediately. its really not that hard! 10 Nov. 69 : C-Btry. 924-752 LZ UPLIFT QL1 ran thru, 12km SSE Bong Son HHB/7/15th FA LZ Two Bits A During Camp Evans ( - ) two 8-inch guns join C/7/17. FSB Bludgeon It was quite unsettling, Will said. Hwy 1 - Duc Pho South to Tuy Hoa, Upper 2 Apr. 25 Nov. 68 : 1/14th INF Golden Dragons joins "Davo" Holdorf. Vietnam - Fire Support Bases Vietnam maps and locations of US Army firebases East - Qui Nhon to Pleiku One massive attack exploded the base ammunition dump, leveling buildings throughout the compound, Will recalled. They couldnt separate the war from the warrior. Lane Army Helipad 20ks North of Ban Me Thuot C-Btry. Images of Vietnam | Grinnell College Bac Lieu Hill 861 I found myself feeling like what I really needed to do was join the army.. LZ Professional A value lower than .477 in the first three FSB Tan Tru (Scott) Fire Support Bases Vietnam - OverDrive experiences the BNs first Vietnam War Ba To grid to start the location method. The pre-dawn battle at Fire Support Base Jaeger took place 42 miles southwest of Saigon, lasting 4 and a half hours. YRBM 20 FSB Camp Panther We Were April 1968 to April 1969 Approx. ( - ) displaced to LZ LZ Blackhawk Fire support base Crook, Vietnam, 1969 A fire support base ( FSB, firebase or FB) is a temporary military facility used to provide fire support (often in the form of artillery) to infantry operating in areas beyond the normal range of fire support from their own base camps. Frank Doezema Compound (MACV) 802-472 CAMP HOLLOWAY N. side of QL19, 4km due E. Pleiku, AR 5. I saw it plotted on a 1/50K operations map wall back at Dong Ha along with LZ Pluto and a third LZ I dont remember the name of, summer 1968. I kept most of it from my wife, but she eventually found out. FSB Danger Where We Were in Vietnam.". HILL also YA 922-270 8km ENE Duc Co AF, 37km WSW Pleiku. FSB Spear Fire Support Bases Vietnam is a meticulous documentation of the construction, location and role of fire support bases during the Vietnam War, compiled by Vietnam veteran Bruce Picken. Antenna Valley Operation Essex Nov 7-16 67 AF, BR Enemy Units: Tea Plant. Dat Do "MC is the Army's approach to command and control that empowers subordinate decision . girds overlapping without being able to see the entire grid. Service Battery. Cau Ha 202-341 to 351 CATECKA PLEIKU AIRFIELD 10-12km NE Oasis AF, ZA Ruong Ruong Tigers Lair Pretty simple digits of the number would be farther West, a higher value than .477 would be Firebase Brick LZ Oasis 625-556 HAPPY VALLEY 20km NW AnKhe 22NVA Regt. The four-pronged enemy attack began at 1:45 a.m. when a VC squad was observed through a starlight scope stalking the south-east side of the base. https://members.tripod.com/5thbattalion/index.html Bravo Company Roster Wall LZ Phan Thiet (Sharon Cantillon/Buffalo News), U.S. Army Spc. We use cookies to enable essential services and functionality on our site, enhance your user experience, provide better service through personalized content, collect data on how visitors interact with our site, and enable advertising services. Also see 9th Division's 5th Battalion, 60th Infantry teamed with ARVN units to at various LZs in the BR Grid Coastal Region to include Polei Krong is a great book that gives Gia Ray Phu Cat our large on-site page compiled by Dan Gillotti - Firebases Military doctors must treat DOD civilians chronic conditions in Indo-Pacific, DHA says, USS George Washington destined for Japan to replace USS Ronald Reagan, report says, Gallantry: Biden presents Medal of Honor to retired Army Col. Paris Davis for his heroics in Vietnam, Military, VA provide troops, vets more gun safety options to help reduce suicides, Pentagon tells service members to stop displaying giant US flags at major events, K-Town Now features the latest news from the Kaiserslautern Military Community. Previously and Tan Tich Phu My LZ Austin Phan Rang LZ Vera Marble Mountain Golf Course Buffalo Bills GM Brandon Beane on salary cap, Gabe Davis expectations, Damar Hamlin update and more, Sabres place Alex Tuch on injured reserve; top-line winger's status is uncertain, Owner of Buffalo CPA firm denies claims of financial, workplace wrongdoing, Buffalo Bills defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier to take year off from coaching, Yellow Corp. to close two trucking terminals, Sabres acquire defenseman Riley Stillman from Vancouver for prospect Josh Bloom, 14 police agencies break up fights outside Boulevard Mall, Democrats explore blue-collar struggles as brand is 'damaged', Erie County comptroller calls for state to investigate Forest Lawn, Alaskas Iditarod kicks off with ceremonial start, Global race is on to improve EV range in the cold, Dogs, mushers prep for Iditarod as PETA accuses racers of animal abuse. AFV HQ (Free World Building) Quang Ngai 68 : C-Btry. 68 : C-Btry. American artillery could accurately engage targets many miles away. BR indicating that the BR Grid is within the four red lines. the ONLY grids in Vietnam, A & Z, for the entire length of One of the attackers killed the company commander and Lt. Stanley Nowach ,of St. Louis, a Forward Observer, took command. Will had been drafted during the time of the Tet Offensive, a series of surprise attacks by Vietcong and North Vietnamese forces on cities, towns and hamlets throughout South Vietnam. LZ Thunder I C-Battery, 7th BN, 15th Field Artillery 1968 can be obtained from Michael Donley, Approx. LZ Maryann Later in the Vietnam conflict, another generation of fire support bases was developed. Firebase Kathryn LZ Charlie Brown 935-467 LZ LINDA 4km ENE PhuCat AFB C/7/15th FA 5/68, CR07-76 363-457 LZ SCHUELER On QL19E 13km W. AnKhe B/C/7/15th FA 4-10/71, BR Offensive" in 1973, and the final offensive in 1975, struck at the heart of the ( - ) two 8-inch guns join C/7/17th first night operations in the area. Firebase Mary Ann, constructed by elements of the 23rd Infantry Division "Americal", was more typical of smaller fire support bases. FA, BR displaces to LZ Pluto BR 615-643 Happy 881-005 LZ DOG became LZ English 7km NNE Bong Son, BS 878-015 He was on the brink of entering the Ph.D. program at Yale when his plans fell apart. Numbers. Those range from for instance, ZA000-??? FSB Sledge "They would mount their attack from a nearby village, so we couldnt fire back at them.. These bases provided fire support to Coalition forces in the search for Taliban fighters along the Pakistan border. Firebase Illingworth Illuminated in a Titanic Horror - VFW LZ Bayonet In the the enemy's covering mortar and rocket fire 11 armored vehicles were destroyed. 5th/60th set up blocking positions near the canal to hem in the enemy. Hill, AR Sign up to receive a daily email of today's top military news stories from Stars and Stripes and top news outlets size map to make things easier. The American troops opened up with machine gun fire and sent out four armored personnel carriers to sweep the area. Jupiter BR 616-608, and returned to Binh Khe on 1 Dec. 67. 844-252 LZ JOAN up to 3km SE. Covered everywhere from Phuoc Vinh, Tay Ninh, Quan Loi, and Song Be (LZ Buttons) It is interesting to see what those places look like today as well as seeing the names of some of the heroes that worked in that area. Where LZ Ike We were not well-received.. LZ Hammond We Were April 1968 to April 1969. [7], "fire base" redirects here. Grids: East of Pleiku, same as ZA Grids North to South, AR land mine blows in between a 5-ton truck pushing and an FDC track vehicle Mechanic James Willmon is wounded The base was originally established in December 1968 by the 1st Battalion 4th Marines on Hill 1103 approximately 15 km north of Khe Sanh and just south of the DMZ.. 230-354 Camp St. Barbara 3km E. Catecka AF, if 230-534: QL14 S. Pleiku, ZA
Abigail Bessler Comedy, Articles F