He walked in daily communion with God. Genesis 21:22. There he made, not only a constant practice, but an open read more, And it came to pass at that time ,. Not when Ishmael was grown up and married, but when Isaac was weaned and Ishmael was expelled: that Abimelech, and Phichol, the chief captain of his host, spake unto Abraham ; Abimelech was king of Gerar, the same that is spoken of in the preceding chapter, and Phichol was the general of his army; these two great personages came together and paid Abraham a visit, and had some conversation with him, who was still in Gerar, or however in some part of read more, Now therefore swear unto me here by God ,. By the true and living God, by whom only an oath is to be taken, who was Abraham's God, and whom Abimelech seems to have known and to have been a worshipper of; and therefore moves for an oath to be taken by him, which he knew would be sacred and binding to Abraham, could he prevail upon him to swear: that thou wilt not deal falsely with me, nor with my son, nor with my son's son ; perhaps he had heard that God had promised to give the whole read more, And Abraham said, I will swear. List one sac- Although some of Abrahams resources came directly from Abimelech (20:16), the king sees the blessing of the Lord on all that you do.. captain of his host spake unto Abraham, saying, God is with thee in I wont ask you again!. Genesis 20:17 Genesis 26:28 College Press Bible Study Textbook Series, Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible, G. Campbell Morgan's Exposition on the Whole Bible, George Haydock's Catholic Bible Commentary, Introductory Lectures - Commentary by William Kelly, John Gill's Exposition of the Whole Bible, Kretzmann's Popular Commentary of the Bible, Lange's Commentary on the Holy Scriptures, Leslie M. Grant's Commentary on the Bible, Matthew Henry Commentary on the Whole Bible, Matthew Poole's Concise Commentary On The Bible, Notes on the Pentateuch by Charles Henry Mackintosh, Sutcliffe's Commentary on the Old and New Testaments, The Preacher's Complete Homiletical Commentary, Through The Bible C2000 Serie by Chuck Smith. Isaac would later have to clear up some matters over several wells with Abimelech (chap. When we give thanks at the dinner table, we need to be truly thankful, and not just mumbling a ritual prayer before we say, Please pass the potatoes. God faithfully provides for our protection and for our provision. And, God provides for his need for water through this well. . And it came to pass at that time, that Abimelech and Phichol the chief captain of his host spake unto Abraham, saying, God is with thee in all that thou doest: , saying, God is with thee in all that thou doest, Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers, Keil and Delitzsch Biblical Commentary on the Old Testament. 17 The Angel comforteth her. 1. And it came to pass at that time,possibly in immediate sequence to the incident of the preceding chapter, but, "according to the common law of Hebrew narrative, probably not long after the birth of Isaac."(Murphy)that Abimelechthe king of Gerar (Genesis 20:2; Genesis 26:1, Genesis 26:16)and Phi-cholif the name be Shemitic, "mouth of all," i.e . It seems to me that the answer is, It shows the faithfulness of God in the ordinary. Read the Scripture: Genesis 21:22-34. When Abimelech confronted Abraham about things, Abraham was rather uncomplimentary, saying that his reason for deceiving him was that he assumed that there would not be any fear of God among such people (20:11). 1. But thats not fair! You might be saying. You see, I think that Abraham may have recognized that Abimelek was in a tight spot. Arise We have had hitherto God's account of that which He had made; then the I. Love Like Jesus: How Jesus Loved People (and how you can love like Jesus). Wells of water are scarce and valuable in eastern countries. His men may have dug who knows how many dry wells before finding this one. 22 And it came to pass at that time, that Abimelech and Phicol the Observing what he had done, and not knowing the design of it: what mean these seven ewe lambs which thou hast set by themselves ? This blessing would come through Abrahams descendant, the Lord Jesus Christ. God's promises never fail. Well see how much this is worth, he muttered. (1) that a person cannot always be held responsible for what his servants do, (2) that it is wrong to judge on insufficient evidence with reference to the characters and conduct of others, and. Because of the cops statement that I wont ask you again! this situation is destined to go sideways. One of Abrahams deeply rooted fears when God called him to leave his homeland and go to the land of Canaan was that the people of the land would see his wife and kill him in order to take her. This new cop couldnt believe it. Peace. From 1977-1992 he was the pastor of Lake Gregory Community Church in Crestline, California. The prudent measure Abraham gave Abimelech seven ewe lambs as a witness that he had digged the well, and consequently had a right to its possession. Now therefore swear to me here by God that you will not de Genesis 21 The contemplated object. the three main sources, J. E, P are present. Ishmael's marriage, but most probably to the former. (Haydock)_ And God heard the voice of the lad; and the angel of God called to He did what he COVENANT BETWEEN 9 Hagar & Ishmael are cast forth. The significance of this passage is Abraham finding a place in the land promised to him in safety. read more, John Gills Exposition of the Bible Commentary. The name, Beersheba seems to play on them both. The palpable injury. 26), but through this treaty, God was faithfully providing for Abrahams basic physical needs. Specific examples of how Jesus communicated Gods love to others. Abimelech attributes Abrahams success to God. Heres a bag. ; Psalms 34, tit.). Abraham took care to have his title to the well allowed, to prevent disputes in future. Plus, if you add the three times shava is used and the three times sheva is used with the use of Beersheba that makes a total of seven times the words are used. The point is, as God faithfully provides protection and for our daily needs, and as we walk with Him and give Him the credit for His care for us, as Abraham did, He uses us in the ordinary matters of life to bear witness to a world that desperately needs to turn to Him. The blessing made manifest. You many Read Genesis 21:22-34 here: Bible Gateway. His friendship is valued, is courted, though a stranger, though a tenant at will to the Canaanites and Perizzites. Though he was surrounded by pagans who had no scruples about murdering and plundering a wealthy mans belongings, Abraham could live securely because of Gods faithful protection, apart from any schemes on Abrahams part. Show to me and my country the same kindness Ive shown you. But Abraham still struggled with this fear long after he had been living in the land. Abraham's name of God, Jehovah El Olam; the two revelations, the God of nature and the God of grace. Each time, the young man, who was retarded and knew only this one verse, responded simply by quoting John 3:16. CHAPTER 21 And Abimelech said unto Abraham, What mean these seven ewe lambs which thou hast set by themselves? This, however, was an error, which shows. That word sounds very much like the Hebrew word for seven (sheva) used in 21:28, 29, and 30. all that thou doest: Should be consulted by all who wish to be well-informed on the issues alluded to by Moses. How Jesus guarded his heart by taking care of himselfhe even nappedand why you should do the same. Well it didnt turn out quite the way he expected. We are secure in His providential care. 14. vs.22-34 The treaty between Abraham and Abimelech. CRITICAL NOTES. Perhaps Abimelech had heard of how God had given Abraham and Sarah a son in their old age. Maybe youre sinking into sudden depression, because youre thinking, Im not perfect! Stay tuned: (2) For the world to see God in our lives we dont have to be perfect. 15. Its no wonder that Abimelek is asking Abraham to swear that he wont deal falsely with him. And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. Unless otherwise noted, all Scripture Quotations are from the New American Standard Bible, The Lockman Foundation, Related Topics: Character of God, Discipleship, Ecclesiology (The Church), Empower, Spiritual Life, Steve served as the pastor of Flagstaff Christian Fellowship from May, 1992 through his retirement in December, 2018. Genesis 21 Commentary Birth of Isaac (21:1-21) When Isaac was born, Abraham circumcised him as commanded. 1886. _God is with thee in all tha 1 Isaac is borne. The public ceremonial. Good men mostly desire to have the saints as friends, and even the wicked can perceive an advantage in being allied to the righteous. So swear to me here before God that you wont deal falsely with me or my children or my descendants. Abraham denies his relationship Probably from JE. God's people, though expected meekly to suffer wrong, cannot always help seeing that it is wrong they suffer. Abimelek responds, This is the first Ive heard of it. laughed with the laughter of incredulity, now laughed with the _Abimelech, king of Gerara, who knew that Abraham was a prophet, and a NOR WITH MY SON, NOR WITH MY SONS SON.] the title not only of the king of Gerar, but of the kings of the THAT ABIMELECH, AND PHICHOL, THE CHIEF CAPTAIN OF HIS HOST, SPAKE And it came to pass at that time, that Abimelech and Phichol the chief "The Lord visited Sarah as he had said." The Lord keeps His word. Around the mouth of the well is a circular course of masonry, topped by a circular parapet of about a foot high; and at a distance of ten or twelve feet are stone troughs placed in a concentric circle with the well, the sides of which have deep indentions made by the wear of ropes on the upper edges The second well, about 200 yards farther south, is not more than five feet in diameter, but is formed of equally good masonry, and furnishes equally good water". God used the only Scripture this retarded young man knew to give eternal life to this sophisticated businessman (told by Martin & Deidre Bobgan, Competent to Minister [EastGate], pp. Abraham didnt fight with Abimeleks servants. In Genesis 21:22-34, we see Abraham in a scene from his ordinary life. GENESIS 'Do not do anything to him. In Chapter s 20, 21 we have the question of the heir and of the path Abraham called on the name of the everlasting God. There he called on the name of the Lord, as the everlasting God; probably in the grove he planted, which was his place of prayer. God is Wells of water are scarce and valuable in eastern countries. In seeking to bring about both of these promises, Abraham resorted to human schemes to help God out: with the son, he went in to Hagar and produced Ishmael; with regard to the land, his fears of being wiped out by the inhabitants of the land prompted him to lie about Sarah being his sister, not his wife.
When A Guy Sends You A Sad Face Emoji, Fishponds Salmon Fishing, Articles G