But did he really say the words quoted or was a phrase morphed to include him as the author? 1851. When the U.S. demanded that the murderers be handed over for punishment, the Creek executed them themselves (for the Ohio murders, not for the River Raisin battle and aftermath). It was so enjoyable and fun reading and discussing the book with them. In other words, Ill make it to Grandmas if the indians dont go on the warpath. The catchphrase itself was associated with Hank Williams. From the beginning, the first narrative of Sadie Blue, which broke my heart from the first page, it feels like it will be her story. If the Creek Don't Rise is a collection of hard-used characters, tangled relationships, family angst, and fortitude. 4.5 stars! I doubt it will ever be possible to prove the source of some of these old sayings,but they sure are alot of funThis post set me a thinkin bout some things we grew up saying that we took from our eldersfor example when one is astonished you say Oh my Stars! Or when you havent seen someone in awhile you say I aint seen Hide nor Hair of em since..and there was plenty of times I was toldquit rootin around an causin such a ruckass!usually refering to me being in Granmas gardenand one can never forget the simpleSkeedaddle! Now the devil may knowWhere those sayings come from. Cookies and privacy Over yonder down the road. Sentences With "Lord willing and the creek don't rise" | Random This was the phrase that he always used, at the end of each performance. Copyright 2023 KAIT. We like to read this as one of the greatest Southern encouragements, but, like most of these phrases, you can use it however you'd like. Whatscatawampus? Wow! Required fields are marked *. That means whatever you're talking about is worth less than very little. My favorite variant is the phrase Hank Williams Sr. sometimes used to end his shows: "Lord willin' and the creek don't rise, we'll see you before long." - MT_Head. Come visit me at LeahWeiss.com where you can subscribe to my CREEKRISE author news. Oh, if the good Lord's willing and the creek don't rise. Every researcher who has investigated the expression has dismissed an Indian connection as untrue. A search for the word rise does not produce this phrase, so it appears that the body of water theory was correct after all. IF THE CREEK DON'T RISE - Leah Weiss The expression is incorrectly attributed on modern social media[citation needed] to an Indian agent, Benjamin Hawkins, in the late 18th century in a rumored letter not found in any archive to the U.S. President. Pot callin the kettle black. Theres probably a connection between eternal damnation and tarnation. In response to a request that he return to Washington D.C., he wrote, "God willing and the Creek don't rise." Lord willing and the creek don't rise, we'll have that new barn finished in time for the harvest. Kicked in the gut and sucker punched with one of the best books I have ever read. If you've ever been caught in a summer storm, you know that you can feel, smell, and see a storm blowin' up across the wide Southern skies. Well, that might just push you over the edge, and as you lean back youre bound to say, Im as full as a tick. Itd be plumb crazy not to express yourself (and your full belly) with this fun, old Southern idiom. It turns out that the phrase was written by Benjamin Hawkins in the late 18th century. If the Creek Don't Rise. Paperback, 305 pages. She captures the whole Appalachian scene - the vocabulary, the falling down houses, the likker, the poverty. But we declareif your only knowledge of Southern sayings comes fromGone With the Wind, youre missing out on a lot of Southern expressions. January 2021: Hat tip to Maria whonotes that the collection of Benjamin Hawkinss letters has now been digitized and can be read at this link. And Lord have mercy, wait till you meet Birdie with her gamy birds-nest hairdo and top notch fine feathered companion Samuel.and all his buddies. Maybe not all dogs were made for hunting some prefer the warmth of a fireplace and the comfort of your lap. Then theres a long gap in the record before it began to appear again in the 1950s. The word you use for a fizzy, carbonated drink reveals a lot more about you than you know. At the same time there is some evidence that the creation of Fort Deposit (Fort Deposite) in Georgia was a cause of concern in that munitions and arms were stockpiled. If you hear this one, you should probably pause a moment. The expression "the creek don't rise" is an American slang expression implying strong intentions subject to complete frustration by uncommon but not unforeseeable events. However, this is clearly one of those evolving language cases. Though youre likely to hear Southernisms such as. The doin hasnt been done yet. So, if during the time of Benjamin Hawkins life, the Creek Indians were experiencing the longest period of peace, why would he fear that they would rise. We've had a lot of delays, but Lord willing and the creek don't rise, we should have the house finished before winter. No, we don't mean you need to go fix your hair. Grahams American Monthly Magazine, Jun. And yes, they roll their eyes, too. and the word HOPE. As they returned home, some of them also killed some settlers in the Ohio valley. Lord willing and the creek don't rise - Wiktionary And, good Lord willing and the creek don't rise, come March of next year, I'll be 225 years old. Poor little doggy. She's not looking for sweets; she wants a hug and a kiss. Two years after the signing of the treaty, Benjamin Hawkins died at the site known as Old Agency. A handful of rivers and streams will be out of their banks by Friday evening and Saturday morning. If youre not using this phrase what are you waiting for? And, when the doins been done, the feller done did it. And this is one appearance in a newspaper: We are an American people, born under the flag of independence and if the Lord is willing and the creeks dont rise, the American people who made this country will come pretty near controlling it. If God Is Willing and Da Creek Don't Rise, If the Good Lord's Willing and the Creek Don't Rise, Good Lord's Willin and The Creek Don't Rise, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=The_creek_don%27t_rise&oldid=1136534691, This page was last edited on 30 January 2023, at 20:39. "Creek" originated as a reference to creeks flooding and preventing travel, but is sometimes re-interpreted as a reference to the Creek tribe. It's almost always accompanied by a good-natured, perhaps slightly exasperated, shake of the head. If the creek don't risewas a whimsical way of saying that the speaker would carry out some task provided that no figurative obstacle were put in his path. Other words sites I ate that up with a spoon and did my best to read them all. The History And Traditions That Make Hanukkah Light Up, Examples Of Ableist Language You May Not Realize Youre Using, Winter 2023 New Words: Everything, Everywhere, All At Once, Fall In Love With 14 Captivating Valentines Day Words, Rizz And 7 Other Slang Trends That Explain The Internet In 2023, Win With Qi And This List Of Our Best Scrabble Words, We Had ChatGPT Coin Nonsense PhrasesAnd Then We Defined Them, Surprise! If the creek dont rise was a whimsical way of saying that the speaker would carry out some task provided that no figurative obstacle were put in his path. If you just heard your mama come home and you haven't finished your chores, she will definitely be "madder than a wet hen." TOP 25 QUOTES BY JOHN WAYNE (of 133) | A-Z Quotes The General replied to Stonewall Jackson that he would send troops "the Good Lord is willing and the Creeks don't rise (in rebellion). Grahams American Monthly Magazine, Jun. However, the first President to move to Washington was John Adams on 1 November 1800. My officers and fire department, we went along the river houses and notified everybody and recommended evacuation, said Hardy Police Chief Scott Rose. Phrase [ edit] Lord willing and the creek don't rise ( idiomatic, US, informal) Barring unforeseen circumstances. All rights reserved. Well, at least we thought we did.but maybe not. What better way to sweeten the sour than with a classic Southern libation? "If the Creek Don't Rise" We'll be there unless something out of our control stops us. Oh, how I loved this story - I simply didnt want it to end! 'If The Creek Don't Rise' Traces Webs Of Hurt And Help : NPR The Cree and the Creek lived over a thousand miles apart, (the Cree are from Canada), so we now have people contributing folk etymologies that are nonsense on their face. It completely nailed the "mountain living" that I remembered my grandmother talking about. Anytime it rains as hard as it did last night, it always brings back fears of having to face something like we did in 1984, he said. Take a look at some of our favorite Southern sayings that we just couldn't live without. Every researcher who has investigated the expression has dismissed an Indian connection as untrue. In his response, he was said to write, "God willing and the Creek don't rise." from The New York Times: If there is a good state of the world in 2021 the Lord willing and the creek don't rise everyone and all Blue Dogs in office needs to recognize . But in following verses the rhyme changes through "creeks don't rise", "creek stay low", back to "creeks don't rise". Anything to the degree of "all get out" is something to talk about. If the Creek Don't Rise: A Novel - Leah Weiss - Google Books "If The Good Lord's Willing and The Creek Don't Rise" is a 1955 American country song by Jerry Reed which was particularly popularized by the 1958 recording of Johnny Cash and has been covered by multiple artists.[1]. Ireckon is the way many Southerners get to surmising about something or other. It's often said in a reassuring way, to calm people down and encourage them to keep on trying. Like trying to meet a friend for lunch but having the car breakdown on the way. This phrase can be intensified by the addition of the word "way," as in "way over yonder.". is a common way to use this next Southern cussemism. It traces to the 1700s and is based on darnation, the mild form of damnation. The lyrics play on the expression Lord willing and the creek don't rise, which is thought to originate from Alabama. The dialect is obscure and living conditions primitive with a feel more like the 1870's than the 1970's..so backward..so uncivilized..the men so brutal and lawless, and for Sadie Blue, life seems grave. Stop right there! There's two or three creeks," he said. It is a modern error to presume that "the creek don't rise" is a grammatical error, so the fact that a speaker in the past was college educated would not be an argument against his having used the phrase. In the Deep South? (KAIT) - Its been a busy 24 hours for first responders in Sharp County. Now, she admits to saying this to her children. (Yes, it is terrible grammar, but that is how it is said. The proper phrase is Lord willing and the Creek don't rise. During the early days of the War of 1812, one party of Creek marched north and joined the Indians fighting in Ohio and Michigan, participating in the River Raisin Massacre. Have you ever seen a wet hen? It may take the form of real or mock dialect, in variations like " Lor' willin' an' th' crick don' rise.". When you're in the South, "over yonder" is a distant directionany direction. Baines Creek, high up in the Appalachian mountain, a poor place filled with impoverished people, a place where moonshine is king. A Quite certainly not. Look up Lord willing and the creek don't rise in Wiktionary, the free dictionary. When you arrive on the banks of the fishing pond on Saturday mornings, you're hoping for a good catchenough big catfish and bream to fry up for the family on Saturday night. They had a conversation in which the phrase was discussed and noted as being about the Creek Indians. Marty Stuart places the words "If the Good Lord's willin' and the creek don't rise, we'll see you in the mornin'." You can help Wikipedia by expanding it. Often said as "Lord willing and the creek don't rise," this expression means, with a little bit of luck and no unexpected problems, things should work out. Any of you word experts have solid information? Disney lost control of its Florida kingdom for opposing the "Don't Say If you've read the book summary, you already know Sadie Blue lives with a devil of a man, but she's not the only one who has lived with a wife beater of a husband. (LogOut/ When I was growing up, this was something we said all of the time. Theres two or three creeks, he said. Many thanks to NetGalley and SOURCEBOOKS Landmark for the ARC in return for an unbiased review. Because he capitalized Creek its asserted that he was referring to the Creek Indian tribe and not a body of water. This page was last edited on 17 January 2023, at 01:18. Translated, this means: "We'll be there unless something out of our control stops us." Its worth looking into because of the way in which it has been elaborated in the version you quote.. It is a quintessential Southern phrase, said by friends and family on porches and in rocking chairs all across the South. I was just hoping for something more concrete about the real origin. The phrase may be accompanied by a gesture indicating north, south, east, or west. Someone reminded me not to be reminded of you. Page created 25 Feb. 2012, Problems viewing this page? Well, hells bells. Weiss has a unique voice. Someone once said that when you visit the South, you need a translator. Just wait till you see what Granny Gladys does..with a bit of help from Mother Nature..hehehe. This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged. I was surprised as all get out. Talk:Lord willing and the creek don't rise - Wiktionary But today Ive stumbled across the claim that it refers to an uprising by the Creek (or Cree) Indians. Im not going to wrestle with historians and their Creek uprising story. It's a more conditional statement of intent than come hell or high water. While in the south, Hawkins was requested by the President of the U.S. to return to Washington. Unarguable Southern criticism. "Come Hell or high water" vs "Lord willing and the creek don't rise" QFrom Bob Scala: An item that has been floating around the internet claims that the expression God willing and the creek dont rise referred to the Creek Indians, not a body of water. If the Creek Don't Rise by Leah Weiss (Author), Tom Stechschulte (Narrator), Kate Forbes (Narrator). Werefixin to tell you more Southernisms, and now were doing just that. "All get out" finds its way into Southern phrases constantly, and it intensifies any statement. During the early days of the War of 1812, one party of Creek marched north and joined the Indians fighting in Ohio and Michigan, participating in the River Raisin Massacre. I agree that the Indian origin sounds unlikely. Cant never could is a reminder that if you dont even try, you wont ever accomplish your goal. From the start there's been a film of dingy on my days.. Another publication, Proceedings of the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge Jurisdiction, Volumes 88-89, coins the phrase: if the Lord is willing and the creek dont fire, we will so do. Creek don't rise - phrase meaning and origin - Phrasefinder Yet here I stand before you a speckled hermit, wrapt in the risen-sun counterpane of my popilarity, an intendin, Providence permittin, and the creek dont rise, to go it blind!. With a colorful cast of characters and a flair for the Southern Gothic, If the Creek Don't Rise is a debut novel bursting with heart, honesty, and homegrown grit. From the present day of the story in 1970 to flashbacks of the past and dreams, these various points of view give us a vivid picture of this place and the people who live there. As they returned home, some of them also killed some settlers in the Ohio valley. Southern Slang: If The Creek Don't Rise | What does it mean? | Ask A As was the case with Dr Mattox, the remark is routinely attributed to first being said by Benjamin Hawkins. The distinct English dialect of the American South, which has a close relationship with Black English (African American Vernacular English), is fascinatingand plenty lively. We do our best to keep our promises, but sometimes unforeseen circumstances come up. Ain't got no dog in that race. Change), You are commenting using your Twitter account. I've been in a slump of just ok books and was craving one that was special. The lyrics play on the expression Lord willing and the creek don't rise, which is thought to originate from Alabama. I've never forgotten it and it's drove me nuts because I would love a copy of it. During the course of his 21 years in these positions he would oversee the longest period of peace with theCreek, only to watch his lifetime of work destroyed by a faction of this Indian Nation known as the Red Sticks during the War of 1812. "You've heard that old saying, 'I'll be there if the creek don't rise?' Well, they've all risen, and a lot of people are staying home because of that." 04 Mar 2023 03:30:05 Step into the Deep South and experience the lives and hardships, hopes and dreams, of folk who have nothing except gritand sometimes loveas their currency. For instance, I might promise to show up for Christmas at Grandmas if the good Lords willing and the creek dont rise. You'll most often hear it coming out of Mama's mouth when the kids are running amok. Over yonder toward the water tower. It was set in the Ozark mountains featuring what some people called a witch. Change), You are commenting using your Facebook account. Johnny Cash had a hit with the song If The Good Lords Willing, and Hank Williams Jr. titled his song If the Good Lords Willin (And The Creeks Dont Rise).. This one may be self-explanatory, but we can imagine it originating back in the days of stagecoaches, when horse-and-buggy pairs filled the streets. By extension, maybe the Southern US expression was the way for an affronted or shocked listener to say none of that crazy untoward talk or behavior shall have power over me.. With a colorful cast of characters and a flair for the Southern Gothic, If the Creek Don't Rise is a debut novel bursting with heart, honesty, and homegrown grit. Funny Phrases ben stanczyk 10/25/01 Catawampus(or, cattywampus) may have been popularized by Brits who delighted in parodying Southern vernacular. It must surely be the creation of a fertile modern mind desiring to put the flesh of evidence on the dry bones of outright invention. "The Good Lord willing and the 'creek' don't rise" is just one of them. Though youre likely to hear Southernisms such as hold your horses and pretty as a peach nationwide, youll likely only hear the following from a true Southerner. You might say cocola. If the creek rises, travel will be impossible and Ill never get to Grannys. A young woman goes missing and has the town both fearful and wondering. Copyright Michael Quinion, 1996. Doh! Sign up for writing inspiration in your email, , Scarlett OHara says: I do declare, Frank Kennedy, if you dont look dashing with that new set of whiskers!, The distinct English dialect of the American South, which has a close relationship with Black English (African American Vernacular English), is fascinatingand plenty lively. Where did this contraction, popular in both African American English and Southern American English, come from? The tale is widely reproduced and believed nevertheless. Speaking ofI declare, this now old-fashioned phrase acts as flustered response to an insult or an unbelievable story about someone who sadly made it into the rumor mill. 15. Back when I was in the fourth grade we had an English teacher who dumped a box of books out one day and told us to read them and do book reports. Its not a recent change. Curiously, this word might have roots in offbeat British humor from the 1840s. If you use this phrase, you could be declaring any number of things: surprise, dissent, happiness. The Lafayette gazette(Louisiana), 3 Nov. 1894. Be it Gods will, or, we go to war, my plans will go according to one of those two choices. He wrote it in response to a request from the President to return to our Nations Capital and the reference is not to a creek, but The Creek Indian Nation. When a fellers fixin to do something, theyre about to do it. In Gone With the Wind, Scarlett OHara says: I do declare, Frank Kennedy, if you dont look dashing with that new set of whiskers!. Hang onto both and 'tough it out'. Here are a couple of examples of this claim. 25 Southern Grandparents' Sayings That Deserve a Comeback, Forgotten Etiquette Every Child Should Learn, Kimberly Schlapman and Her Family's Tea Cakes, Lauren Alaina Talks 'American Idol', Southern Manners, and Her Grandmother's Famous Recipe, 30 Quotes That Remind Us Why Southern Manners Are So Important. The Problem with Saying, "Lord Willing and the Creek Don't Rise" While there, we happened upon a museum dedicated to the Underground Railroad. Whether you're talking about volume or value, a hill of beans isn't worth much. Youre still going to the grocery store. If the Creek Don't Rise|Paperback - Barnes & Noble "If the Good Lord's Willing and the Creek Don't Rise" was later covered by Johnny Cash during his tenure at Sun, and a few of the other tracks here ", If God Is Willing and da Creek Don't Rise, "If the Good Lord's Willing and the Creek Don't Rise", Learn how and when to remove this template message, "World Wide Words: God willing and the creek don't rise", "William Clark Green: 'Ringling Road' Album Review", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=If_the_Good_Lord%27s_Willing_and_the_Creek_Don%27t_Rise&oldid=1067282742, "If The Lord's Willing And The Creeks Don't Rise", song by, "If The Good Lord's Willing And The Creek Don't Rise", Lattie Moore, Jerry Reed 1961, "If The Good Lord's Willing", Ray Godfrey, arranged Jerry Reed, Tollie Records 1964, "(Be The Good Lord Willing) The Creek Don't Rise", Jivin' Gene, arranged Smith, Hall-Way Records 1964, "God Willin' & the Creek Don't Rise", with the lyric "God willin' an the creek don't rise, I'll be home again before this time next year."
How Did Richard Kollmar Die, Brenda Ann Spencer Father, Nslookup Only Shows Ipv6 Address, Burkesville, Ky Mugshots, 3d Baseball Stadium, Articles I